New Ulm in Brown County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
— Historic Downtown New Ulm —
This three-story building is a fine example of Queen Anne commercial architecture. The original southern section was erected in 1892 for the Buenger Furniture Store, while the corner building was constructed in 1902.
Louis Buenger Sr. was born in Hanover, Germany, and settled in New Ulm in 1863. He opened his first furniture shop on the corner of Minnesota and 3rd North in 1876. The business proved so successful that he erected a brick building at 225 North Minnesota Street. Ten years later, his son, Louis Buenger Jr., expanded the business, moving the Schalk store, a survivor of the Dakota Conflict, from the corner lot. That building still stands, although greatly altered, at 822 North State Street.
The corner building was designed by local architect Herman Amme. The New Ulm News reported, "The design shows a very handsome front, with a round corner where the entrance will be.... On the corners as supports to the upper stories there will be heavy columns of polished granite, something that has not heretofore been used in a building in New Ulm."
In 1912, Louis Buenger Jr. left the business
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
Location. 44° 18.963′ N, 94° 27.707′ W. Marker is in New Ulm, Minnesota, in Brown County. Marker is on North Minnesota Street south of 3rd North Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 225-227 North Minnesota Street, New Ulm MN 56073, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kiesling House (within shouting distance of this marker); Barricading New Ulm (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); New Ulm's Glockenspiel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jacob Nix Platz (about 500 feet away); Pioneer Founders of New Ulm (about 500 feet away); Crone Store (about 600 feet away); Dacotah House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Ulm.
More about this marker. photo caption:
The Buenger Store was originally located in the Schalk building (on right). In 1892, the family erected the three-story building next door, shown here under construction.
Images from the Brown County Historical Society
Credits. This page was last revised on December 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 725 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 26, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.