Northville in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Mill Race Historical Village
In 1827, John Miller built a grist mill on this site. The structure was replaced by the Northville Mills in 1847. In 1919 mill owner Donald P. Yerkes sold the site to Henry Ford who razed the structure and built a valve factory across Griswold Street one year later. The factory was one of Ford's village industries, a group of rural plants that manufactured small automotive parts. The Ford Motor Company donated the land to the city of Northville in 1972 for use as a historical village.
The Mill Race Historical Village was established in 1972 as a site for relocating buildings faced with demolition. That year the city of Northville donated the New School Church to the Northville Historical Society and it was the first structure moved to this site. The society's focus has been the preservation and display of architectural styles and furnishings of the nineteenth century. The Gazebo and Hirsch Blacksmith Shop are reproduction buildings.
Erected 1989 by Bureau of History, MIchigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1427.)
Topics and series. This Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1827.
Location. 42° 25.998′ N, 83° 28.775′ W. Marker is in Northville, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker can be reached from Griswold Street 0.1 miles north of East Main Street/Northville Road, on the left when traveling north. The marker is in the "village green" behind the General Store. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 Griswold Street, Northville MI 48167, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Two Tracks in Town (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Northville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Northville Valve Plant (approx. 0.2 miles away); Taking Flight (approx. 0.2 miles away); Detroit Edison Company Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Roadside Refreshment (approx. ¼ mile away); Knapp Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Colonel Samuel White / Samuel White Homestead (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Northville.
Also see . . .
1. Mill Race Village. (Submitted on August 30, 2013, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
2. Henry Ford's village industries. (Submitted on August 30, 2013, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
3. Ford valve plant. (Submitted on August 30, 2013, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2013, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 395 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 30, 2013, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.