Holland City Hall and Firehouse No. 2
On March 8, 1884, some 150 people attended the Columbia Fire Engine Company's oyster supper celebration honoring Holland's new city hall and firehouse. The solid brick building reflects the desire for "fire proof" construction following the 1871 fire that devastated the city. The city clerk and a special committee consulted with the Grand Rapids firm of Robinson and Barnaby, and designed the structure with a tower to accommodate drying fifty-foot unfolded fire hoses. Originally, a cupola topped the tower.
Erected 1983 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
Location. 42° 47.416′ N, 86° 6.144′ W. Marker is in Holland, Michigan, in Ottawa County. Marker is on East 8th Street, 0.1 miles east of College Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 E 8th St, Holland MI 49423, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Knickerbocker Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); Ninth Street Christian Reformed Church (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Van Vleck Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Outpost (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hope College (approx. 0.2 miles away); Warm Friend (approx. Ό mile away); Western Theological Seminary (approx. Ό mile away); Central Avenue Christian Reformed Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Holland.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2013, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 502 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 30, 2013, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 4, 2020, by Lugnuts of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.