Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Plano in Kendall County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Plano Stone Church

 
 
Plano Stone Church Marker image. Click for full size.
August 30, 2013
1. Plano Stone Church Marker
Inscription.  The Plano congregation of the church was organized on April 21, 1861, and met at the home of Elder James Horton. In May 1868, church members passed a resolution to build a church. In a show of support and encouragement, townspeople contributed liberally to the endeavor and a local merchant donated the land. Plano Stone Church was completed and dedicated in November 1868. The pews and pulpit, made from native lumber by church members, are still in use.

Joseph Smith III (church president and prophet from 1860-1914) and his family lived in Plano from 1866-1881. The Plano Stone Church served as headquarters for the denomination during that time. Fourteen General Conferences of the church were hosted here. Plano was also home to Herald Publishing House, and numerous church publications were published here, including the Saints' Herald, Joseph Smith's translation of the Bible, the 1874 edition of the Book of Mormon, and the first Zion's Hope.
 
Erected 2003 by Community of Christ.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1855.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
41° 39.601′ N, 88° 32.178′ W. Marker is in Plano, Illinois, in Kendall County. Marker is at the intersection of South Center Street and Dearborn Street, on the right when traveling south on South Center Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plano IL 60545, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Yorkville Congregational Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Kendall County World War Memorial (approx. 4.7 miles away); Kendall County Historic Courthouse (approx. 4.8 miles away); Illinois' Northern Boundary (approx. 4.8 miles away); P. Y. Bliss House (approx. 8.2 miles away); First Settler (approx. 8.4 miles away); Bicentennial Grove (approx. 15.8 miles away).
 
Plano Stone Church image. Click for full size.
August 30, 2013
2. Plano Stone Church
Plano Stone Church, also known as The Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, is on the National Register of Historic Places
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2013. This page has been viewed 514 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 30, 2013. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=68229

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024