Mankato in Blue Earth County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Mankato's "First" City Park
In 1888, a proposal was made to build Mankato's first hospital on Bunker Hill. Five years later, the plan specified a quarantine hospital to be built there. In 1896, a special ordinance was passed designating the land to be used as a city park. Despite local support for retaining the name, "Bunker Hill," the City Council chose "Highland" to be the park's official name. In 1905, the first park building was constructed.
Highland Park served many years as a popular stop for tourist campers from all over the country. No doubt, the park's wooded ravines, tall trees and shady picnic areas inspired at least one tourist to comment, "Highland was hard to beat." During World War II, the park fell into disrepair; but after many years of improvements, the park has been upgraded with many modern conveniences, while retaining its rustic charm. It provides both the weary traveler and city dweller alike, the opportunity for rest and quiet reflection.
Mankato Sesquicentennial Committee
1860's: Used as Civil War Recruitment Center.
1874: Mankato City Council purchased 10.2 acres of land to provide residents with free-flowing well.
1875: Artesian well sunk into hillside -- water level never reached higher than 78 feet from surface.
1888: Proposal made to build Mankato's first hospital on "Bunker Hill".
1893: Plans made to build quarantine hospital on site.
1896: Special Ordinance passed designating land to be used as city park. City Council chose "Highland" to be the park's official name instead of "Bunker
1905: First park building constructed.
1909: Animals removed from Highland Park Zoo.
1905-1941: Popular stop for tourist campers from across the country. "Highland was hard to beat."
1941-1945: Park fell into disrepair during WWII.
1945 to present: After many years of improvements, park was upgraded with many modern conveniences, while retaining its rustic charm.
Erected 2002 by Sons of the American Legion, Lorentz Squadron 11, Mankato Sesquicentennial Committee, Mankato, Minnesota.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places.
Location. 44° 9.335′ N, 93° 59.747′ W. Marker is in Mankato, Minnesota, in Blue Earth County. Marker is on Weaver Street east of Warren Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is in Highland Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 950 Warren Street, Mankato MN 56001, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civil War Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lincoln Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hubbard House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Amos Owen Garden of American Indian Horticulture (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sinclair Lewis House (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Lorin & Lulu Cray Home Washington Park / Fourth Street Route Depot Grounds (approx. 0.8 miles away); Korean War (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mankato.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 499 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 1, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.