Carthage in Smith County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Smith County Courthouse Square
A Major Federal Base
At the northwest corner
(Inscription under the photo in the lower left)
The first courthouse was built in 1805. It was fifty feet square with four offices and a hall on the first floor and two offices and courtroom on the second floor. The present courthouse was built a few years after the Civil War and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
(Inscription under the photo in the lower right)
Thirteen Civil War veterans gathered at the Smith County Courthouse in 1926. By this time, the number of Civil War survivors had dewindled to merely a handful. – Courtesy of Lecil McDonald, Smith County resident, WWII Veteran
Smith County Courthouse
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails, and the United Daughters of the Confederacy series lists.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carthage TN 37030, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Captain William Walton (a few steps from this marker); Benton McMillin (a few steps from this marker); Bragg Invades Kentucky (a few steps from this marker); Confederacy Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Smith County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Cordell Hull Memorial Bridge (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Edward Stallings (about 700 feet away); The Carthage Christian Church (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carthage.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 534 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.