Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Reedy Chapel A.M.E. Church
This structure, erected during the pastorate of the Rev. J.E. Edwards, replaced the first Reedy Chapel Church on this site, destroyed by the 1885 Galveston fire. Contractor E.F. Campbell began construction in 1886. Four storms hit the island that year, delaying completion of the project until 1887. Severely damaged by the hurricane of 1900, the building was restored to its original Gothic style. The church was repaired and enlarged again in 1947 and 1957. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1975
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7548.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church ⛪ series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
Location. 29° 18.039′ N, 94° 47.345′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is on Broadway Avenue (State Highway 87) west of 20th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2013 Broadway, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Reedy Chapel A.M.E. Church (a few steps from this marker); J. Levy & Bro. (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Joseph's Church (about 700 feet away); Congregation B'nai Israel Synagogue (about 700 feet away); J.F. Smith House (about 800 feet away); The Galveston Movement (about 800 feet away); Confederate Mariner: Leon Smith (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sonnentheil Home (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Also see . . .
1. The Reedy Chapel in The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on September 11, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. Galveston Island Publicity Page. (Submitted on September 11, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 13, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 469 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on September 11, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.