Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The ropewalk receives its name from the long path used for the laying out of individual yarns of rope prior to twisting them together.
Rope making was accomplished by first combing hemp and attaching it to a clockwise revolving hook spinning it into yarns.
Several yarns were then attached to separate hooks and twisted together counterclockwise to form strands. These three strands were twisted together clockwise again making rope.
Because of the constant change in direction, the rope would not unravel. If a larger rope was needed, three ropes could be twisted together to form anchor cable.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 38° 54.781′ N, 77° 3.647′ W. Marker is in Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of R Street Northwest and Avon Place Northwest, on the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3048 R Street Northwest, Washington DC 20007, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Montrose Park (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memory of Lucia Eames Blount (about 600 feet away); Stephen Osusky (about 700 feet away); Watching the Flames (about 700 feet away); Dumbarton Oaks (about 700 feet away); Lillie Mackall (approx. 0.2 miles away); South Lawn (approx. 0.2 miles away); Garage (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
1. Elderslie, Parrott's Woods and the Ropewalk
Industrialist Richard Parrott put together a large property here between 1804 and 1813. He built a ropewalk and a Federal Style mansion house he called Elderslie. The area around including the grounds of Oak Hill Cemetery came to be known as "Parrott's Woods." The property passed to Clement Smith in 1822 when Parrott died. In 1837 it became the property of Mary McEwan Boyce and later the property of her husband Captain William Boyce. The Boyce's named the the place Montrose. In 1911 the property became Montrose Park after extensive lobbying by Sarah Rittenhouse. The decaying house was torn down and formal grounds were designed by George Burnap and Horace Peaslee
— Submitted September 16, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 730 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 16, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.