Springfield in Union County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The first British advance was stayed at the bridge east of the village, June 7, 1780. The Battle of Springfield was fought June 23rd. The Americans under General Greene on that day near the stream west of the church checked the enemy, who in their retreat burned the church and village. From this church Parson Caldwell took psalm-books during the fight and flung them to the Americans for wadding, crying; “Put Watts into ‘em boys.”
Erected by the State of New Jersey, A.D. 1905
(Back of monument):
GOD is our refuge and strength
(Left side of monument):
For freedom’s battle once begun bequeathed by bleeding sire to son through baffled oft is ever won.
(Right side of monument):
Of what avail the plough or sail or land or life if freedom fail.
Erected 1905 by State of New Jersey.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical date for this entry is June 7, 1925.
Location. 40° 42.667′ N, 74° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Springfield NJ 07081, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonial Church (a few steps from this marker); The Battle of Springfield (within shouting distance of this marker); Patriots who fell at Springfield (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Cannonball House (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Springfield (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Jersey Militia and Continental Army (approx. half a mile away); To the memory of Colonel Israel Angell (approx. half a mile away); Colonel Elias Dayton (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springfield.
Also see . . . The Battles of Connecticut Farms and Springfield. (Submitted on April 5, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 5, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,276 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 20, 2010, by R. C. of College Station, Texas. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on April 5, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 10. submitted on August 20, 2010, by R. C. of College Station, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.