Racine in Racine County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Engine House No. 3
The City of Racine purchased the site in 1869 for $1,000, but deferred the actual construction of a new building for over a decade. After several unsuccessful bids for an engine house, Alderman Lucius Blake convinced the Common Council to approve a new building. In May of 1881, the council accepted a design from David R. Jones, a Madison architect. Jones' design, in the Victorian Italianate style, called for a two-story building with a tower, and clad in cream brick with stone acents [sic]. Construction was delayed at the start, but the company was able to move in by December 1, 1881.
Engine Company No. 3
Engine Company No. 3 was formed in 1849, one year after Racine was incorporated as a city. The volunteer company was made up almost exclusively of Welsh immigrants. The company's original home was on Seventh Street, between Main and Wisconsin. Two years after Engine Company No. 3 moved into their new home, the Racine Fire Department changed from volunteer service to a professional company. Engine House No. 3 remained in use until 1968. In 1976, as part of the National Bicentennial, the
[Photo captions read]
[1.] The engine house was originally designed to be on a corner. However, Grand Avenue was never constructed, and a plaza was built in its place. Instead of having a decorative front façade and blank "party" walls on either side, the building has two fronts: one along modern-day Sixth Street, and another along the plaza where Grand Avenue would have been.
Photograph by Great Lakes Archeological Research Center, Inc. 2012
The Engine Company No. 3, photographed in 1907. Members included, from left to right: Henry Martin, John Fach, Captain John Diedish, Chief James Cape, William Billhorn, and Charles Jenista.
Image Property of Racine Heritage Museum Archival Collection. All Rights Reserved.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 42° 43.556′ N, 87° 47.365′ W. Marker is in Racine, Wisconsin, in Racine County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Avenue (State Highway 32) and 6th Street, on the right when traveling west on Washington Avenue. Marker is on the grounds of City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 730 Washington Avenue, Racine WI 53403, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Veterans Memorial (here, next to this marker); Racine City Hall 32nd 'Red Arrow' Infantry Division Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Joshua Glover Commemorative Marker (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jerome Increase Case / Mascot and Trademark (approx. 0.3 miles away); Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Racine, Wisconsin (approx. 0.3 miles away); Racine County Historical Museum (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Racine.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 617 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 8, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.