Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Tiburon in Marin County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Protecting the Public Health

 
 
Protecting the Public Health Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, October 3, 2013
1. Protecting the Public Health Marker
Inscription.  In 1891 the U.S. Marine Hospital Service, now the U.S. Public Health Service, opened a Quarantine Station in Ayala Cove. Marine Hospital Service officers inspected ships looking for signs of illness among the passengers and crew. If contagious diseases such as smallpox, black plague, or cholera were discovered, everyone aboard the ship was quarantined at the station for 14 days and treated. The ship’s cargo and passenger baggage were disinfected and fumigated using steam and a cocktail of chemicals including hydrochloric acid, sodium cyanide, formaldehyde, and ammonia.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
 
Location. 37° 51.99′ N, 122° 26.305′ W. Marker is near Tiburon, California, in Marin County. Marker is on Perimeter Road, on the right when traveling north. Perimeter Road is a 5 mile, mostly paved, walking/bicycle path that goes around Angel Island. Angel Island State Park is accessed by ferry from Tiburon or San Francisco. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Belvedere Tiburon CA 94920, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
this marker. Melting Glaciers + Rising Seas = (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Medical Officers at Home (about 700 feet away); Angel Island (approx. 0.2 miles away); Isolating Disease (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ayala Cove (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Angel Island (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Ayala Cove (approx. ¼ mile away); Camp Reynolds (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tiburon.
 
Also see . . .  Quarantine Station - Angel Island Conservancy. The first ship to have her passengers quarantined on the island was the steamship China on April 27, 1891: there was smallpox on board. (Submitted on October 12, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.) 
 
Protecting the Public Health Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, October 3, 2013
2. Protecting the Public Health Marker
Ayala Cove, aka Hospital Cove.
Quarantine Station Building #9 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James W. Rosenthal, circa 1933
3. Quarantine Station Building #9
Library of Congress HABS CA-2779-A
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 420 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 12, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.   3. submitted on October 18, 2013. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=69248

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024