Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Leander in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Leander Schools

 
 
Leander Schools Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
1. Leander Schools Marker
Inscription.  

The origin of the Leander school system can be traced to the 1855 school held in Bagdad, the pre-Civil War community that disappeared after Leander was founded along the railroad. In 1893, a free public school opened in the new community. Business leaders organized a high school association in 1899 to furnish support for the educational system. Students began graduating from Leander High School in 1931. Over the years, the schools have grown to accommodate increases in enrollment, while providing a vital service to the community.
 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9288.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
 
Location. 30° 34.433′ N, 97° 51.265′ W. Marker is in Leander, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on S West Dr (County Road 274) near Municipal Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 S West Dr, Leander TX 78646, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Leander United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Webster Massacre
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. ¼ mile away); Leander (approx. ¼ mile away); Leanderthal Lady (approx. ¼ mile away); Leander Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Norton Moses Lodge No. 336, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pickle-Mason House (approx. 0.6 miles away); A. S. Mason House (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leander.
 
Leander Schools Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, October 6, 2013
2. Leander Schools Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2008, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,157 times since then and 68 times this year. Last updated on October 12, 2013, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. Photos:   1. submitted on January 2, 2008, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   2. submitted on October 12, 2013, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=69263

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024