Charleston in Bradley County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Charleston on the Hiwassee
A Strategic Crossing
The Hiwassee Bridge crossing was not only significant as the connection between Chattanooga and Knoxville, but also played a role in defending Charleston. Desperate for supplies in the aftermath of the Battle of Missionary Ridge, two of Confederate Gen. Joseph Wheeler’s cavalry divisions
“I have given the rebel General (Joseph) Wheeler a sound thrashing this morning.” —Col. Bernard Laibold, 2nd Missouri Infantry
Civil War Atlas, 1891
Col. Eli Long Courtesy Library of Congress
Gen. Joseph Wheeler Courtesy Library of Congress
Civil War Atlas, 1891
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1861.
Location. 35° 17.006′ N, 84° 45.469′ W. Marker is in Charleston, Tennessee, in Bradley County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston TN 37310, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Voices from the Past (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); A New Home (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named A New Home (about 700 feet away); Sickness in the Camps (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Sickness in the Camps (about 800 feet away); Prisoners (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Prisoners (approx. 0.2 miles away); Preparing for Removal (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,081 times since then and 192 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 14, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.