Placerville in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Branch Saloon/Bingham's Jewelrey/Seligman Building/Ewing Building
Collins Auto Parts/Placerville Clothing
Collins Auto Parts
A log building owned by C.C. Williams once stood on the western portion of this lot. In 1853 thirsty miners stopped here for a drink at Mrs. Little’s Branch Saloon. For a short time, Bingham’s Jewelry crafted gold into keepsakes at this location.
As the town grew with the increased presence women, so did the demand for quality clothing. According to the December 2, 1854 issue of The Mountain Democrat, brothers L. and A. Seligman “ at a very great expense erected a spacious and elegant fireproof building – an ornament to the city ” divided into two splendid store rooms. They filled one store with a variety of quality lady’s goods from “ The Muslin’s of Lowell to the most delicate fabrics from China to Pursia.” They stocked the other store with gentlemen’s goods of all description- from Brogane up to the finest French cloth suits.
Proprietors of later years marketed auto parts, yarn and needlework and offered professional services. Today, Placerville
Erected by El Dorado County Heritage Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1818.
Location. 38° 43.713′ N, 120° 48.127′ W. Marker is in Placerville, California, in El Dorado County. Marker is on Main Street, 0.1 miles east of Pacific Streeet (California Route 49), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 327 Main Street, Placerville CA 95667, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Forum Café / Union Hotel / United States Trio Hall / The Forum Café / The Blue Bell Café (within shouting distance of this marker); Hangmans Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); Randolph Jewelers (within shouting distance of this marker); Three Unfortunates Hanged (within shouting distance of this marker); History of Old Town Center (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bayles Building (1853) (about 300 feet away); John A. "Snowshoe" Thompson (about 300 feet away); Davis and Roy News Depot / Shelley Inch Building / Placerville News Company (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Placerville.
More about this marker. This marker is called a tombstone marker and is provided by the EL Dorado County Heritage Association.
Regarding Branch Saloon/Bingham's Jewelrey/Seligman Building/Ewing Building. Factual changes to the information stated in the last paragraph of the marker text:
...Proprietors of later years marketed auto parts (Collins), yarn and needlework (Placerville Yarn & Needleworks) and offered professional services (computer store). Placerville Clothing followed in the footsteps of the Seligman Brothers by offering shoppers an assortment of high quality clothing. Today, Tree House offers seasonal and unique decorations for both inside and outside the home.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,041 times since then and 46 times this year. Last updated on October 15, 2013, by Steven Kris Payne of Diamond Springs, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 11, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.