Panaca in Lincoln County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Dependent on these spring waters, Mormons built the first permanent settlement in southern Nevada at Panaca in 1864. For 80 years this water was used for all domestic purposes.
The Meadow Valley Mining District, including the Pioche area, was organized in 1864 with its center at Panaca Spring.
Erected by State Historic Preservation Office. (Marker Number 160.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
Location. 37° 47.737′ N, 114° 23.104′ W. Marker is in Panaca, Nevada, in Lincoln County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Street and C Street, on Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Panaca NV 89042, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clover Valley Mountains Steam Engine/Sawmill (a few steps from this marker); Panaca Ward Chapel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Panaca Mercantile (approx. 0.4 miles away); Panaca (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cathedral Gorge (approx. 1.3 miles away); Bullionville (approx. 1.4 miles away); Miller's Point / Cathedral Gorge (approx. 2.8 miles away); Wheeler Monument (approx. 9.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Panaca.
Also see . . . New Amended Text for Marker. The Nevada State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) recently updated the text of the roughly 260 state historical markers in Nevada. The Nevada SHPO placed the amended text of each individual marker on its website and will change the actual markers in the field as funding allows. Minor changes have been made to the marker for grammar, readability, and content. The link will take you to the Nevada SHPO page for the marker with the amended text. (Submitted on November 12, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 356 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 18, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.