Anderson in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Hugh Pate Harris
General, U.S. Army
Approximately one-half mile north of this location is the birthplace of Hugh Pate Harris. He was born there on June 15, 1909. At a young age, Hugh and his family moved to Lawrence County, Tennessee. After graduating from Columbia Military Academy (Columbia, Tennessee) he entered the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. Harris graduated in 1931, receiving his commission as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army Infantry.
Early in his career, Harris was involved in the development of airborne units and doctrine. He also assisted the Canadian Army's airborne efforts. In 1943, during WWII, he was Chief of Staff of the 13th Airborne Division and in 1951, he was Chief of Staff of the XVIII Airborne Corps, Fort Bragg, NC. In 1953, during the Korean War, Harris served as Regimental Commander in the 40th Infantry Division and then became Deputy Chief of Staff, 8th U.S. Army in Korea. His top commands included: Berlin Command, 1955; 11th Airborne Division, 1956; Army Infantry Center and Commandant of the Infantry School, Ft. Benning, GA, 1960; I Corps (Group) Korea, 1961; 7th U.S. Army, Europe, 1962; and Commanding General,
General Harris retired in 1965 after a remarkable 34-year career. He became president of The Citadel, the military college of South Carolina, a position he held from 1965 to 1970. He followed Four Star General Mark W. Clark, of WWII Fame, who was president from 1954 to 1965. After retiring from The Citadel in 1970, he lived in Bonneau, SC, until his death on November 3, 1979. General Harris was buried in Arlington National Cemetery. It has been reported that, on at least on occasion after retirement from the Army, General Harris returned to Anderson to visit his birthplace.
Erected by East Lauderdale Historical Society.
Topics. Military. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1864.
Location. 34° 55.337′ N, 87° 16.186′ W. Marker is in Anderson, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is on Alabama Route 207 at milepost 7 south of Hammond Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located adjacent to the Anderson City Park near the Dollar General at the given address. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7051 Highway 207, Anderson AL 35610, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Anderson (here, next to this marker); Grassy Memorial Chapel and Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away); Andrew Lee Phillips (approx. 6.6 miles away); Lauderdale County High School 1912 (approx. 6.7 miles away); Rogersville Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. (approx. 6.8 miles away); Heritage Park (approx. 6.8 miles away); Samuel Burney: 1763-1849 Revolutionary War Veteran / Burneys Creek/First Creek Wheeler Lake (approx. 6.8 miles away); Lamb’s Ferry Road (approx. 6.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 19, 2013, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 892 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 19, 2013, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.