Oak City in Millard County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Oak City / The Bell
Founded in 1868 by pioneers who had formerly resided at Deseret, this location was chosen as a refuge from the Sevier River floods. Their animals formerly had been pastured on Oak Creek. The town site was surveyed into twenty-four blocks and was patterned after the original survey of Salt Lake City. Lots were drawn for the property. Families began the wagon trek, bringing with them doors and windows from their homes in Deseret. Others completely dismantled their houses there and hauled the material to the new settlement and reassembled it on their newly acquired land.
The season was late, near November. Twenty-three families hauled logs from the canyon, dug dugouts, made adobes. Many of the houses were of one or two rooms and had dirt roofs and floors. With shovels they tapped the Oak Creek, digging ditches for irrigation water.
The first winter the men worked together and fenced 360 acres of land. The leading
We honor and appreciate the courage of these pioneers, their vision, faith, and fortitude to subdue this desert and harness the mountain stream.
Erected 1993 by Oak Creek Camp, Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 472.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers, and the Historic Bells series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 39° 22.512′ N, 112° 20.18′ W. Marker is in Oak City, Utah, in Millard County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Center Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oak City UT 84649, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Morrison Charcoal Ovens 1882 (approx. 12.3 miles away); a different marker also named Morrison Charcoal Ovens 1882 (approx. 12.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 21, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 574 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 21, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.