Oceana Naval Air Station in Virginia Beach, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Eastern Shore Chapel
Originally named for its proximity to the eastern shore of the Lynnhaven River, the first Eastern Shore Chapel was built elsewhere by 1689. The vestry of Lynnhaven Prish commissioned the building of the third Eastern Shore Chapel in 1754. This brick structure located north of here on the site of the second chapel (circa 1730), had a gable roof skirted by modillion cornices, typical of Virginia's simpler colonial churches. Because of the expansion of the Naval Air Station Oceana, this chapel was dismantled in 1952. Built to the northwest of here, the current church was completed in 1954 and took selected remnants of the interior fabric, including the gallery steps and pews from the 1754 building.
Erected 2002 by Department of Resources. (Marker Number K--277.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1689.
Location. 36° 49.005′ N, 76° 0.428′ W. Marker is in Oceana Naval Air Station in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Marker is on Oceana Boulevard (State Road Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Virginia Beach VA 23454, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Flame of Hope (within shouting distance of this marker); Flame Of Hope (within shouting distance of this marker); Peace Monument (approx. 1.9 miles away); In Memory of Our Departed Shipmates (approx. 2.1 miles away); All American Veterans (approx. 2.1 miles away); Chosin Reservoir Campaign Veterans (approx. 2.1 miles away); 203rd Red Horse Flight (approx. 2.1 miles away); USS Cole (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oceana Naval Air Station.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 22, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 469 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 22, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.