Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greeneville in Greene County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

John Gloucester

1776-1822

 
 
John Gloucester Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, July 30, 2013
1. John Gloucester Marker
Inscription.  Gideon Blackburn, a Presbyterian minister, purchased and sought to free a slave named Jack. Through Blackburn's tenacity and by action of the Blount County Court, he received his freedom and the name John Gloucester in 1807. Educated at Greenville (Tusculum) College, Gloucester became a Presbyterian missionary in 1809. Dr. Benjamin Rush, a Philadelphia physician and Gloucester’s friend, assisted in freeing his wife and children. The first African American ordained as a Presbyterian minister, Gloucester became a respected pastor and teacher in Philadelphia. His four sons became Presbyterian ministers.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1C 84.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionCivil Rights. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1807.
 
Location. 36° 10.5′ N, 82° 45.648′ W. Marker is in Greeneville, Tennessee, in Greene County. Marker is at the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
intersection of South Erwin Highway and High Street on South Erwin Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greeneville TN 37745, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Institution of Higher Learning West of the Allegheny Mountains (here, next to this marker); Tusculum College (within shouting distance of this marker); Virginia Hall 1901 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Tusculum College (about 700 feet away); Samuel Doak House (approx. ¼ mile away); Andrew Johnson National Historic Site (approx. 1.4 miles away); Henderson’s Station (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Band Perry (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greeneville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 10, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 22, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 470 times since then and 41 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on October 22, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=69614

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 16, 2024