Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Moulton in Lawrence County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Gallagher Hill/Science Hill

 
 
Gallagher Hill/Science Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, April 20, 2010
1. Gallagher Hill/Science Hill Marker
Inscription.  The elevation to the northeast was known as Gallagher Hill. It was owned by John Gallagher who was born 1784 in Donegal County, Ireland. Coming to America 12 Aug 1812, he was a Lawrence County official by 1822. Later known as Science Hill, the Moulton Male High School, incorporated 2 Feb 1858, was built on the site. Thomas M. Peters was President of the Board, and school trustees included Asa Hodges, William McKelvy, Henry Warren, and W.F. Owen. On 22 Apr 1858, the trustees advertised for bids "for the erection of a building on Gallagher Hill, east of town for said school, and the removal of the old town schoolhouse to the same location." The Moulton Democrat of 5 Nov 1858, stated that building would be completed "in a week or two," and the Professor Zenias F. Freeman was principal. Freeman was an educator of national reputation. The first session of school began 3 Jan 1850. In 1874, the Methodist Episcopal Church - South bought the land and buildings to begin a new school called Decatur District High School. Michael Wert was Chairman of the Board of Trustees and Professor Mitchell was principal. On 1 Jul 1888, a lynching occurred on the school
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
grounds with Sheriff William F. Roberson and Judge J.C. Kumpe intervening to no avail.
 
Erected by Lawrence County Historical Commission, Inc.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical date for this entry is January 3, 1850.
 
Location. 34° 28.902′ N, 87° 17.173′ W. Marker is in Moulton, Alabama, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street (County Route 460) and Hospital Street, on the right when traveling west on Court Street. Marker is in front of Moulton Post Office. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14645 Court St, Moulton AL 35650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lawrence County Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Confederate Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); A County Older Than The State (approx. 0.3 miles away); Moulton Church of Christ (approx. 0.4 miles away); Anne Newport Royall (approx. 0.4 miles away); General Phillip Dale Roddy (approx. 0.4 miles away); Peerson/McKelvey Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); The Hot Spot (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moulton.
 
Gallagher Hill/Science Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, April 20, 2010
2. Gallagher Hill/Science Hill Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2013, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 801 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 24, 2013, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=69668

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024