Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fallon in Churchill County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Churchill County Courthouse

 
 
Churchill County Courthouse Upper Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 6, 2013
1. Churchill County Courthouse Upper Marker
Inscription.  
Churchill County was created by the Territorial Legislature in 1861 but attached to Lyon County for judicial and revenue purposes. Churchill County was organized in 1864 and La Plata served as county seat. In 1868, it was moved to Stillwater, where it remained until March 5, 1903 when Fallon claimed the title.

The Neo-Classical Churchill County Courthouse was constructed in 1903 on property donated by Warren and Addie Williams and John Oats. Contractor W.B. Wyrick built the wood building for $7,300 from plans and specifications by Reno architect Benjamin Leon. The building was completed and accepted by County Commissioners F.L. Small, Charles L. Allen and E.S. Harriman on February 2, 1904.

The building is the only monumental wooden courthouse built in Nevada. It has been in continuous use since opening.
 
Erected by Division of Historic Preservation & Archeology, Churchill County Commissioners. (Marker Number 161.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureGovernment & Politics. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1800.
 
Location.

Churchill County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 6, 2013
2. Churchill County Courthouse Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
39° 28.5′ N, 118° 46.642′ W. Marker is in Fallon, Nevada, in Churchill County. Marker is at the intersection of West Williams Avenue and Lincoln Highway (U.S. 50), on the right when traveling west on West Williams Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10 West Williams Avenue, Fallon NV 89406, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Churchill County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Post Office (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oats Park School (approx. half a mile away); The Brothers of E.C.V. (approx. 6.8 miles away); Carson Trail - Ragtown (approx. 7.6 miles away); Ragtown (approx. 7.9 miles away); Grimes Point (approx. 8.6 miles away); Grimes Point Archaeological Area (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fallon.
 
NRHP Plaque at Entrance to Churchill County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 6, 2013
3. NRHP Plaque at Entrance to Churchill County Courthouse
Entrance to Churchill County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 6, 2013
4. Entrance to Churchill County Courthouse
Churchill County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 6, 2013
5. Churchill County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 414 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 24, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=69686

Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2021