Darnestown in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Andrew Small Academy
The Academy building was constructed in 1869 to the southeast of the Darnestown Presbyterian Church and soon began to draw pupils from outside of the community. The third floor was used as living quarters for boarding students. Day students from Darnestown and neighboring communities also attended. The academy was a cultural center for the community, providing avenue for plays, concerts, recitals, and even a literary society.
Though the Academy was closed in 1907, the Montgomery County Board of Commissioners of Public Schools took over the building and used it as a high school until 1927,
Children learned the alphabet, expanded their vocabulary, and were given daily spelling 'slate work' courtesy of the McGuffey Reader, the most popular American textbook in the 19th century.
Erected 2012 by Montgomery Parks M-NCPCC.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 39° 6.198′ N, 77° 17.452′ W. Marker is in Darnestown, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Darnestown Road. Marker is in Darnestown Square Heritage Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14029 Darnestown Road, Gaithersburg MD 20878, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A 19th Century Crossroads (here, next to this marker); The Origins of Darnestown (here, next to this marker); Clues to the Past: Oral History and Archaeology (here, next to this marker); Disease, Death, and Medical Discoveries During the Civil War (a few steps from this marker); Darnestown: A Strategic Point of Defense Civil War Troops & Darnestown Residents (within shouting distance of this marker); The Signal Corps and Wartime Communications (within shouting distance of this marker); The Civil War in Darnestown (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darnestown.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 25, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 467 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 25, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 7. submitted on October 26, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.