Waelder in Gonzales County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Town of Waelder
In 1875 and 1876, when the Galveston Harrisburg & San Antonio Railroad built through Gonzales County, this town was laid out to serve as a shipping point for the surrounding agricultural and ranching area. Hopkinsville, a thriving community five miles north, moved here to become the nucleus of Waelder.
Because of valuable services rendered to railroad interests in the early days, the G.H.&S.A. named the new town for the company attorney, Frederick Jacob Waelder (1820-1887).
Born in Germany, Waelder spent most of his life in Texas, where he was a lawyer, representative in the state legislature (1855-1859), and briefly an officer in the Confederate Army. He was also a leader of the German-Texas colonists in numerous undertakings.
The town of Waelder, which grew to be the second largest in the county by 1900, can trace the history of its populace back to the three waves of German immigrants who settled in Texas from 1831 to 1900.
Highly regarded by their neighbors, German citizens were considered frugal and industrious. Joining with Latin-Americans and Old South Anglo-Americans, the two other
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5441.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
Location. 29° 41.579′ N, 97° 17.939′ W. Marker is in Waelder, Texas, in Gonzales County. Marker is at the intersection of North Railroad Street (U.S. 90) and South Avenue E (State Highway 97), on the right when traveling east on North Railroad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waelder TX 78959, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hopkinsville Lodge No. 183, A.F. & A.M. (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leander C. Cunningham (approx. 0.7 miles away); Saturn Cemetery (approx. 7 miles away); John Socrates Darling (approx. 8˝ miles away); Rev. Benjamin F. Fry (approx. 8˝ miles away); Colony Cemetery (approx. 8.8 miles away); Andrew Zumwalt (approx. 10.4 miles away); Old Moulton (approx. 10.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waelder.
Regarding The Town of Waelder. Regrettably, this marker fails to mention the
Also see . . .
1. Waelder, Texas. Wikipedia (Submitted on September 7, 2014.)
2. City of Waelder, Texas. (Submitted on September 7, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,324 times since then and 235 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 9, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 2. submitted on September 6, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.