Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Blountville in Sullivan County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Anderson Townhouse

 
 
Anderson Townhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, July 31, 2013
1. Anderson Townhouse Marker
Inscription.  The log section of Anderson Townhouse was built in 1792/95. It housed the first town commissioners of Blountville: Richard Gammon (1750-1833), Major George Maxwell (1751-1821) and Colonel John Anderson (1750-1817). All these men served the American Revolution and held important civil offices. John Anderson, who lived and worked at the Townhouse when in Blountville on commissioner duties, was the owner of the well-known Blockhouse on the famed Wilderness Road. In addition to the town commissioners, the house has been home to a number of Presbyterian and Methodist ministers as well as Joseph Anderson, one of the founders of modern Bristol.

The kitchen burned about 1811. Successive owners by 1826 added the frame back wing and made general improvements in the interior.

As part of America’s Bicentennial Celebration, the house was purchased in 1974 by the Sullivan County Historical Commission with funds donated by individual clubs and businesses and a grant by the American Revolution Bicentennial Administration.
 
Erected 1976 by American Revolution Bicentennial 1776-1976.
 
Topics. This
Anderson Townhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, July 31, 2013
2. Anderson Townhouse Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
memorial is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1811.
 
Location. 36° 31.981′ N, 82° 19.549′ W. Marker is in Blountville, Tennessee, in Sullivan County. Memorial is on Bristol Highway west of Messengill Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blountville TN 37617, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Deery Inn (a few steps from this marker); Ralph Blizard (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Old Deery Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cannonball House (within shouting distance of this marker); Brick Kitchen (within shouting distance of this marker); 1840 Smokehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); King Ironworks Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Sullivan County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blountville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 28, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 543 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 28, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=69801

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 2, 2022