Evan in Brown County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The first store was opened in "Evan" by Martin Norseth in 1885. Peter Hansen of Sleepy Eye erected a grain elevator the same year. A creamery association was formed in 1895 and a large creamery plant was constructed.
On March 22, 1904 the village was incorporated under the name of Evan. The first officers elected were: H.P. Tharkeldsen, president; Jens Mikaelsen, Lars Lamp and H.L. Hansen, councilmen; J.C. Forster, treasurer and Jens D. Hansen, recorder. The village was to include 640 acres and had a population of 142.
At the time of incorporation businesses in Evan included a bank, two general stores, a hardware store, lumberyard, blacksmith shop, stock dealer, garage, implement dealer, three elevators, a restaurant and the Light and Power Co. It also had a library and two churches.
Erected 1987 by the Brown County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1852.
Location. 44° 21.203′ N, 94° 50.457′ W. Marker is in Evan, Minnesota, in Brown County. Marker is on Knudsen Street (County Road 31) south of Hanson Street (County Road 7), on the left when traveling south. Marker is at the Evan Village Hall. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Morgan MN 56266, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cobden (approx. 4.7 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.1 miles away); Golden Gate (approx. 6.4 miles away); Golden Gate Mill Stones (approx. 6.4 miles away); Chief Sleepy Eyes (approx. 7 miles away); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial (approx. 7 miles away); Dakota Reservation and the Leavenworth Road (approx. 7˝ miles away); A Second Wave of Attacks (approx. 8.6 miles away).
Also see . . . Evan, Minnesota. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on October 29, 2013.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 601 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 29, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.