Allegan in Allegan County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erected 1962 by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number S0226.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1831.
Location. 42° 31.677′ N, 85° 51.064′ W. Marker is in Allegan, Michigan, in Allegan County. Marker is at the intersection of Chestnut Street and Hubbard Street, on the right when traveling south on Chestnut Street. Marker is at the southeast corner of the County Courthouse complex. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Allegan Civil War Monument (here, next to this marker); Episcopal Church of Good Shepherd (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Welcome to Allegan (about 500 feet away); James E. Mahan Park (about 800 feet away); The Second Street Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Welcome to Pine Creek (approx. 7.8 miles away); Hopkins Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 8 miles away); Welcome to the Village of Hopkins (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Allegan.
Also see . . . History of Allegan County. From Michigan History Magazine on the Southwest Michigan Directory website. (Submitted on November 1, 2013.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 1, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 799 times since then and 147 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 1, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.