Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Clear Spring in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

“The Bank Road”

(The Cumberland Turnpike Road)

 
 
Bank Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, August 5, 2006
1. Bank Road Marker
Inscription.  The portion of this highway from the west end of the Conococheague bridge to Cumberland (40 miles) was built between 1816 and 1821. The banks of Maryland financed it by purchase of the stock.
 
Erected by State Roads Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the The Historic National Road series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1816.
 
Location. 39° 39.449′ N, 77° 51.5′ W. Marker is near Clear Spring, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on National Pike (U.S. 40) 0.7 miles west of Wilson Bridge Park Lane, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clear Spring MD 21722, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wilson’s Store (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 0.4 miles away); Miller's Tavern & Spickler's Buggy Factory (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Gettysburg Campaign (approx. half a mile away); Wilson Bridge
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clear Spring.
 
More about this marker. The Conococheague bridge mentioned in the marker was the Wilson Bridge, approx. half a mile east.
 
Also see . . .  Maryland's Bank Road. (Submitted on November 18, 2006.)
 
Marker on U.S. Route 40 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, August 5, 2006
2. Marker on U.S. Route 40
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 18, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,809 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 18, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=699

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 14, 2024