Bloomingdale in Van Buren County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Kalamazoo and South Haven Railroad / Bloomingdale Depot
Kalamazoo and South Haven Railroad
On April 14, 1869, Kalamazoo businessmen filed articles of incorporation establishing the Kalamazoo and South Haven Railroad Company. Final construction on the line was completed in December 1870. After a year of operation, the railroad became a division of the Michigan Central Railroad. The village of Bloomingdale was established along the line on May 23, 1870, by Lucius Kendall and Henry Killefer. Passenger service was discontinued in 1937; and all other rail service, in 1970.
Originally called the Kalamazoo and South Haven Railroad Depot, this building was completed in December 1870. Harvey Howard, owner of the local sawmill, and his brothers Zenas and Joseph supplied the lumber and built the depot. Its original location was an acre of land donated by Augustus Haven. The park built on the depot grounds in 1912 is named in Haven's honor. The first passenger train arrived in Bloomingdale on July 4, 1870.
Erected 1987 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1938.
Location. 42° 23.009′ N, 85° 57.489′ W. Marker is in Bloomingdale, Michigan, in Van Buren County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of N. Van Buren Street and W. Spring Street, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located in Augustus Haven Park next to the Bloomingdale Depot Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 N Van Buren Street, Bloomingdale MI 49026, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bloomingdale Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Bloomingdale Oil Boom / Statewide Effect of Bloomingdale Oil Boom (within shouting distance of this marker); Bloomingdale Oil Boom (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Army of the Republic (approx. 9.2 miles away); The Second Street Bridge (approx. 11.3 miles away); Episcopal Church of Good Shepherd (approx. 11.4 miles away); Welcome to Allegan (approx. 11.4 miles away); James E. Mahan Park (approx. 11.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bloomingdale.
Also see . . . Bloomingdale Depot. Lost in Michigan website entry (Submitted on April 16, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 4, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 598 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 4, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.