Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Covert in Van Buren County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Covert Library

 
 
Covert Library Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, October 28, 2013
1. Covert Library Marker
Inscription.  This structure was the township's first commercial building and an integral part of Covert's development. In 1871 Packard and Sons Lumbering Company hired Will Frary to build a general store. Under George Michel's proprietorship from 1885 to 1915, the store became a gathering place for shopping, banking, worshipping, and visiting. The community expressed interest in purchasing the building in the late 1930s. However, in 1940 Dr. and Mrs. O.M. Vaughn donated it to the city for use as a library, community center, and Masonic Lodge.
 
Erected 1978 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L416.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
 
Location. 42° 17.661′ N, 86° 15.758′ W. Marker is in Covert, Michigan, in Van Buren County. Marker is on Main Street (State Highway 140) north of Lake Street (34th Avenue), on the right when traveling south. Marker is
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
located at the Covert Historical Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 33805 M-140, Covert MI 49043, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Covert World War II Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Liberty Hyde Bailey (approx. 6.8 miles away); Dr. Liberty Hyde Bailey (approx. 6.8 miles away); Frank E. Warner (approx. 6.8 miles away); Theodatus Timothy Lyon (approx. 6.8 miles away); The Blacksmith Shop (approx. 6.8 miles away); Indiana School (approx. 7.2 miles away); Hartman School (approx. 7.4 miles away).
 
Covert Library image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, October 28, 2013
2. Covert Library
The building now houses the Covert Historical Museum
Covert Library Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, October 28, 2013
3. Covert Library Marker
View to north along Main Street (M-140)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 4, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 369 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 4, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=69956

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024