Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Yreka in Siskiyou County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Franco American Hotel Building

306, 308, 310, 312, 314, 316 W. Miner St.

 
 
Franco American Hotel Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, October 22, 2013
1. Franco American Hotel Building Marker
Inscription.  From a narrow, two story brick house in the 1850s, to an expansive hotel with a 167 foot frontage, the Franco American Hotel became one of the largest and finest inns in Northern California. Started by the Frenchman Leon Marniesse in 1855, the hotel housed a restaurant, Wells Fargo & Company Express Office, saloon and other businesses, and was a well-known stage stop. Through the years improvements consisted of a “piazza” or balcony across the front, additional suites of sleeping rooms upstairs and a two-story brick dining room. Among prominent hotel guests were Vice President Colfax, General and Mrs. Philip Sheridan and President Hayes.
 
Erected by E Clampus Vitus, Humbug Chapter 73 & City of Yreka.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus, and the Former U.S. Presidents: #19 Rutherford B. Hayes series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
 
Location. 41° 43.926′ N, 122° 38.255′ W. Marker is in Yreka, California, in Siskiyou
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
County. Marker is at the intersection of Wolfsen Road and 4th Street, on the right when traveling west on Wolfsen Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 310 West Miner Street, Yreka CA 96097, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Henry Egbert Building (here, next to this marker); Cleland and Hoyt Building (a few steps from this marker); Livingston and Brothers Building (a few steps from this marker); City Meat Market (a few steps from this marker); Brown-Nickell-Authenrieth Building (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named City Meat Market (within shouting distance of this marker); Wetzel Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Ruehle Building (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yreka.
 
Also see . . .  Franco American Hotel - Yreka History. Over the years many changes and improvements were made to this property. A big change came in 1867 when Mr. Marniesse increased the frontage of the building and added a second story and balcony. Mr. Marniesse owned and operated the building until his death just a year later in 1868. (Submitted on November 9, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.) 
 
Franco American Hotel Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, October 21, 2013
2. Franco American Hotel Building Marker
The marker is to the left of the large arched entrance.
West end of the Franco American Hotel Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, October 20, 2013
3. West end of the Franco American Hotel Building
East end of the Franco American Hotel Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, October 20, 2013
4. East end of the Franco American Hotel Building
Older Franco American Hotel Building Marker in Barber Shop widow. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, October 22, 2013
5. Older Franco American Hotel Building Marker in Barber Shop widow.
Franco AmericanHotel Bldg.
1866-67
Leon Marniesse – native of France prop – ran the Franco-American hotel on this site in 1953 or 55
New dining rm. & rms. above on west side built
1899
Chas. Bonhart – prop.
Chas. Herzog Jr. – manager
Hotel served as office and station of Wells, Fargo – Bank and Express Co. – 1862-1866
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 9, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 485 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 9, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=70084

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024