Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Englewood in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

John G. Benson House

 
 
John G. Benson House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, April 10, 2008
1. John G. Benson House Marker
Inscription.  
Built c. 1800 by John G. Benson, a farmer, and from 1794 to 1797, a captain in the militia. This house, an example of post-Revolutionary War Dutch Colonial architecture, was built on property confiscated by New Jersey from the Reverend Garret Lydecker, a Tory during the American Revolution.

Sponsored by Englewood Environmental Commission 1974
 
Erected 1974 by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 9.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureArchitectureWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1800.
 
Location. 40° 53.443′ N, 73° 58.475′ W. Marker is in Englewood, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of Grand Avenue (County Route 501) and Tracey Place, on the left when traveling north on Grand Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Englewood NJ 07631, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
crow flies. First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); De Mott – Westervelt House (approx. half a mile away); Liberty Pole (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Liberty Pole (approx. half a mile away); Brookside Chapel (approx. 1.2 miles away); Van Horne’s Grist Mill (approx. 1.3 miles away); English Neighborhood Road (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Englewood.
 
Also see . . .  Bergen County Historical Society. Society website homepage (Submitted on April 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 
 
Benson House Marker on Grand Avenue image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, April 10, 2008
2. Benson House Marker on Grand Avenue
John G. Benson House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, April 10, 2008
3. John G. Benson House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,054 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=7009

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024