Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marion in Perry County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Lincoln Normal School

 
 
Lincoln Normal School Marker (front) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, April 28, 2018
1. Lincoln Normal School Marker (front)
Inscription.  On July 17, 1867, nine ex-slaves (James Childs, Alexander H. Curtis, Nicholas Dale, John Freeman, David Harris, Thomas Lee, Nathan Levert, Ivey Pharish and Thomas Speed) formed and incorporated the “Lincoln School of Marion.” They soon found it difficult to recruit and pay teachers. On September 10, 1868, the trustees entered into an agreement with the American Missionary Association (AMA), an auxiliary of the Congregational Churches. The Reverend A. W. Steward, the first principal, also organized the First Congregational Church in the school in 1869.

The school grew so rapidly the AMA could not finance it. In 1874 the State of Alabama was asked to take over the secondary department. It was formed into a normal school to train black teachers. A new building and more teachers were added; students came from all over the state; and William Burns Patterson became principal.

An incendiary fire in 1887 destroyed the state school; it was moved to Montgomery where it became State Normal School, now Alabama State University. The people of Marion prevailed again upon the AMA to provide a school and the Patterson home
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
was turned into classrooms. In 1897 the AMA decided to abandon the school because of the lack of funds needed to make it efficient, but the people rallied to support the new principal, Mary Elizabeth Phillips. Supporters raised funds and agreed to furnish the teachers food and fuel so the AMA agreed to keep Lincoln open.

Under Miss Phillips' guidance Lincoln developed rapidly as was evidenced by the construction of new buildings. In 1902 Livingston Hall, the first brick academic building, was completed. Hope Cottage, a girls' dorm, was built by the boys in 1904 and this same year the shop was remodeled for a boys' dorm. The Patterson home was remodeled into a girls' dorm and dining hall in 1905 and renamed Phillips Hall. Douglas Hall, a boys' dorm, was built by the boys in 1908 and Van Wagenen Hall was built in 1909 for the elementary department. In 1919 a kindergarten and primary annex was added to Van Wagenen Hall and electricity was installed in all buildings. Woolworth Hall, which housed the science and home economics departments and some teachers' quarters, was completed in 1922. Ranny Hall, a dorm for high school girls, was erected in 1926. On May 30, 1939 Phillips Memorial Auditorium was dedicated to the memory of Mary Elizabeth Phillips Thompson who died in 1927.

The 1920s were hard years for Lincoln. Dormitories were closed; the elementary department
Lincoln Normal School Marker (rear) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, April 28, 2018
2. Lincoln Normal School Marker (rear)
was discontinued, but a health program was started; cooperatives were organized in the county and the older buildings were remodeled.

In 1943 the first black principal, Rev. E. A. Smith, was hired and all of the white teachers had to leave when the state agreed to operate the school. The state finally purchased the eight-acre campus and forty-acre farm from the AMA in 1960. During the integration process Lincoln School was formally closed in May 1970, after 103 years of service.
 
Erected 1992 by the Alabama Historical Commission and Marion Lincolnite Chapter (Mrs. Idella J. Childs, President).
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansEducation. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Commission, and the Historically Black Colleges and Universities series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1856.
 
Location. 32° 37.549′ N, 87° 19.736′ W. Marker is in Marion, Alabama, in Perry County. Marker is at the intersection of Lincoln Street and Lee Street, on the left when traveling west on Lincoln Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Lincoln Street, Marion AL 36756, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Congregational Church of Marion (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marion City Hall
Lincoln Normal School image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, April 28, 2018
3. Lincoln Normal School
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Marion Military Institute Korean War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Marion Military Institute Alumni Vietnam Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); South College Barracks Fire of 1924 (approx. half a mile away); Marion Military Institute (approx. 0.6 miles away); Siloam Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Marion Female Seminary (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
 
More about this marker. The marker is located behind security fencing. The former school is undergoing some remodeling.
 
Lincoln Normal School & marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, April 28, 2018
4. Lincoln Normal School & marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 9, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 890 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 28, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=70096

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024