Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waycross in Ware County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Methodism Came To Waycross

1873

 
 
Methodism Came to Waycross Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, September 21, 2013
1. Methodism Came to Waycross Marker
Inscription.  This church, known as Junction on the Blackshear Ct., began with three women members. Its first building was erected in 1874. A full-time pastor came in 1884. By 1892 the 500 members began a new brick building at this site of many “tent revivals”. On October 15, 1893 the first service was led by Rev. W.H. Thomas, retired “circuit rider” and “spiritual father of Waycross”. The 1972 Sanctuary and Arthur J. Moore were dedicated in 1975. In the chapel is the 1893 altar at which Bishop Arthur J. Moore was converted and licensed to preach in 1909. More than 27 men and women have been licensed to preach by this church.
 
Erected 1987 by South Georgia Conference Commission on Archives and History. (Marker Number 12.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1893.
 
Location. 31° 12.559′ N, 82° 21.375′ W. Marker is in Waycross, Georgia, in Ware County. Marker is at the intersection of Gilmore Street and Reed Street, on the right when traveling north
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
on Gilmore Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waycross GA 31501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Wildes Massacre (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ware County Georgia World War I Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Waycross Confederate Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Co. F 121st Infantry (approx. ¼ mile away); George W. Barnes Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Senator Nicholas Ware (approx. 0.4 miles away); Nancy Hart Highway (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ware Court House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waycross.
 
Methodism Came to Waycross Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, September 21, 2013
2. Methodism Came to Waycross Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 604 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 12, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=70173

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024