Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bacova in Bath County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Bacova

 
 
Bacova Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, October 15, 2013
1. Bacova Marker
Inscription.  The Tidewater Hardwood Company built a lumber mill and company town here, 192–1922, naming it Bacova, a contraction for Bath Co., Va. Narrow-gauge railroads brought the logs to the mill. The company paid workers in scrip redeemable for rent, medical attention, and supplies at the company store. After a decade, mill operations slowed during the Great Depression and stopped altogether in 1936. Salvage metal and railroad engines, rails, and cars were sold to Japan just before World War II. Private investors bought the Bacova tract, and in 1957 the founder of The Bacova Guild, Ltd., a group of artists and craftsmen, purchased the town.
 
Erected 1995 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number D-37.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1922.
 
Location. 38° 3.258′ N, 79° 50.545′ W. Marker is in Bacova, Virginia, in Bath County. Marker is at the intersection
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of County Route 687 and Post Office Drive, on the right when traveling west on County Route 687. On the lawn in the front of the post office. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23 Post Office Drive, Bacova VA 24412, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Dinwiddie (approx. 1.8 miles away); West Warm Springs (approx. 2 miles away); a different marker also named West Warm Springs (approx. 2 miles away); Garth Newel (approx. 2.8 miles away); Waterwheel Restaurant Building (approx. 2.9 miles away); Overshoot Wheel (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Dinwiddie Mantle (approx. 2.9 miles away); Confederate Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  The Bacova Guild. “Bacova’s first products focused on nature art laminated into fiberglass items including the famous classic Bacova fiberglass covered mailboxes. ” (Submitted on November 14, 2013.) 
 
Bacova Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, October 15, 2013
2. Bacova Marker
Bacova Post Office image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, October 15, 2013
3. Bacova Post Office
View of Bacova from the Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, October 15, 2013
4. View of Bacova from the Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 14, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 941 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 14, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=70219

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024