St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort Frederica National Monument
Ann and Levi Bennett, “kept a good public house there (Frederica), and after her husband’s death married (Samuel) Lee who is an idle fellow, and her businesses is almost lost.” A List of the Early Settlers of Georgia 1763
Levi Bennett and his wife Ann operated Frederica’s first tavern here. The lot was assigned to Bennett when Frederica was established in 1736.
Two years after their arrival Mr. Bennett either died or deserted the colony. The task of running the tavern was left to his wife and his servant, Samuel Lee, who Ann eventually married. Ann also kept a store here and was described by a diarist as “a considerable dealer.”
Among the artifacts discovered here were 15 wine goblets, 1,218 wine bottle fragments, and 2,331 fragments of clay pipes — items likely to be found in a pub.
Erected by National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6515 Frederica Drive, Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shoemaker and Soldier (here, next to this marker); A New House? (a few steps from this marker); Frederica - Huts and Houses (a few steps from this marker); The Flesh Market (within shouting distance of this marker); Frederica (within shouting distance of this marker); The Town Wall (within shouting distance of this marker); Broad Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Frederica - Indian Interpreter (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Also see . . . Fort Frederica National Monument. (Submitted on November 15, 2013.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 14, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 267 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 14, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.