Oak Ridge in Anderson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Erected in Memory of New Bethel Baptist Church
Opened 1851 - Closed 1942
Church building Stood 47 feet in front of this stone In Memory of our Dead
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes, and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain, for the former things are passed away. Rev. 21:4
Board of Deacons
J.F. Diggs, Chairman
W. M. Thacker
New Bethel Baptist Church was organized and opened its doors in 1851. The doors were closed De. 1942 when church property was bought by the U.S. Government in the Oak Ridge Development. The church having been left in extended session from 1942, this monument was dedicated and the final church session closed at Memorial Day Services May 29, 1949.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is May 29, 1949.
Location. 35° 56.035′ N, 84° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oak Ridge TN 37830, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Poplar Creek Seminary (approx. 3.7 miles away); The Wheat Community (approx. 3.7 miles away); Building K-1000 (approx. 4.7 miles away); K-25 Plant (approx. 4.9 miles away); a different marker also named Wheat Community (approx. 5.2 miles away); The Scarboro Community (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Emery Road (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Birth of the City of Oak Ridge, Tennessee (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oak Ridge.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2013, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. This page has been viewed 676 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 29, 2013, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.