Leroy in Washington County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Taylor House
Built circa 1841 by Walter Taylor on Commerce Street in Jackson. In 1985, it was removed from its original site to make way for a new City Hall Complex and was brought to this site and restored as the Leroy Branch of the Washington County State Bank.
Walter Taylor (1817-1886) was the son of Daniel Taylor, one of the original Commissioners of the town of Jackson in 1816. He was a prominent attorney, farmer and merchant and with his wife Amanda Caroline Lankford Taylor, founded the Jackson Methodist Church in 1842.
Erected 1986 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 31° 30.431′ N, 87° 57.406′ W. Marker is in Leroy, Alabama, in Washington County. Marker is on Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 43) ¼ mile north of Batley Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 27188 Highway 43, Leroy AL 36548, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Clarke County War MemorialC S A Brooke Cannon S-96 (approx. 3.6 miles away); Jackson (approx. 3.6 miles away); City of Jackson (approx. 3.6 miles away); First District Agricultural College and Experiment Station (approx. 3.7 miles away); Kimbell House (approx. 4 miles away); Jackson Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 4.2 miles away); Bassetts Creek (approx. 5.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 5, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 431 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 5, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.