Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
This house was built in 1858 as quarters for the U.S. Armory paymaster's clerk and his family. This clerk helped the paymaster manage the armory's complex budget and payroll, and assisted also with the collection of government quarters' rent and the oversight of armory contracts.
Soon after the establishment of Storer Normal School (later college) in Harpers Ferry in 1867, Reverend Alexander Morrell of Maine came south into the Shenandoah Valley as a missionary for the Freewill Baptists - a church dedicated to the education of former slaves. Morrell preached and taught in the area for nearly 20 years, and this house, in which Morrell and his family once resided, was named in honor of his dedicated service. Today the Morrell house is a National Park Service office building.
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion • Education. Historically Black Colleges and Universities 🎓 series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 39° 19.453′ N, 77° 44.255′ W. Marker is in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Fillmore Street east of Columbia Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 485 Fillmore Street, Harpers Ferry WV 25425, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brackett House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Harpers Ferry Bandstand (about 400 feet away); Prize of War (about 500 feet away); Lockwood House (about 600 feet away); Island Access (about 800 feet away); That was the happiest time of my life. (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Niagara Movement (approx. 0.2 miles away); Virginia Lodge No. 1 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
More about this marker. [Photo caption reads] Morrell House, as part of Storer College, in the early 1900s.
Also see . . . Morrell House. (Submitted on December 13, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 13, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 430 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 13, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.