Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Downtown Juneau in Juneau Borough, Alaska — Northwest (North America)
 

St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church

 
 
St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, September 3, 2009
1. St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker
Inscription.  

A building rich with history

Juneauís gold rush in the 1880s initiated efforts by various missionaries to convert the Native peoples to their faith. American missionaries were instructed to suppress the use of native languages and as a result, many Tlingits chose to embrace the Orthodox Church which used native languages in worship. St. Innocent Veniaminov, was the first to translate the Christian Scripture into that language and taught Native Alaskans to read and write in their own language. Juneau Tlingit leaders, were eager to develop a parish and in July of 1892, Bishop Nikolai visited Juneau and baptized nearly 700 of 1,500 natives in the town. By 1893 community raised enough money to buy two lots in town and construction was started in July of that year. The church was finished in November of 1893 and Bishop Nikolai consecrated the church in June of 1894.

Architecturally, the building is beautiful example of the Russian American architecture and the unique octagon plan of St Nicholas is known to be the last of the Orthodox churches of this shape. The interior space is beautifully adorned with a seven-bay
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
iconostas. In its first decade, St Nicholas Church was served by Father John Bartnovsky, and Father Alexander Yaroshevich, both Russian clergy who were familiar with the Tlingit language.

(Quote) “The robes were decorated with gold and bright carnation cloth of a dazzling brightness, while his miter was studded with brilliants.” Alaska Mining Record reporting on Bishop Nicholasí vestment at the churchís dedication June 28, 1894
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1894.
 
Location. 58° 18.182′ N, 134° 24.544′ W. Marker is in Juneau, Alaska, in Juneau Borough. It is in Downtown Juneau. Marker is on 5th Street east of North Franklin Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 326 5th St, Juneau AK 99801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Liberty Bell Reproduction (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The MacKinnon Apartments (about 400 feet away); Bishop Michael H. Kenny (about 500 feet away); William Henry Seward (about 500 feet away); Seward & Alaska (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named William Henry Seward (about 600 feet away); 4-Story Totem (about 600 feet away); Harvesting of the Atom (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Juneau.
St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, September 3, 2009
2. St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker
 
St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, September 3, 2009
3. St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker
National Register of Historic Places
St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, September 3, 2009
4. St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker
St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, September 3, 2009
5. St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker
St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, September 3, 2009
6. St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker
St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, September 3, 2009
7. St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 14, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 589 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 14, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=70758

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 14, 2024