Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Haines in Haines Borough, Alaska — Northwest (North America)
 

Fort William H. Seward

A National Historic Landmark

 
 
Fort William H. Seward Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, September 4, 2009
1. Fort William H. Seward Marker
Inscription.  Fort Seward was the first permanent military base in Alaska. Completed in 1904 on 100 acres of land donated by the Presbyterian Church, it remained active until 1944. Named for William H. Seward, the U.S. Secretary of State who arranged the purchase of Alaska from Russia. The Fort was renamed Chilkoot Barracks in the 1920’s to avoid confusion with Seward, Alaska.

(Inscription under the photo on the bottom left) :
1918-1921
Continuing up the hill on the right side, you will pass the long white quartermaster supply building, where furnishings and basic supplies were distributed. The cold storage room was located in the basement. In the 1960’s a large walk-in cooler served as a temporary morgue when the Haines facility closed.

(Inscription under the photo in the bottom center) : 1930
Up the dock on the right side, the small red building housed an underwater communication cable linking Haines to the continental U.S. Messages were commonly sent in Morse code.

(Inscription under the photo in the upper right):
July 1920
The Port of Chilkoot dock is the original Army dock.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Notice the pullout for mule wagons to pass each other midway down the right side. Mules played an important role both in the construction of the Fort and as a mode of transportation.

(Inscription under the photo in the lower right) 1920’s
 
Erected by The City of Haines.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & SettlersWar, World II. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1920.
 
Location. 59° 13.709′ N, 135° 26.387′ W. Marker is in Haines, Alaska, in Haines Borough. Marker is on Beach Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Haines AK 99827, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Founders of Port Chilkoot (approx. 0.2 miles away).
 
Fort William H. Seward Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, September 4, 2009
2. Fort William H. Seward Marker
View of Portage Cove image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, September 4, 2009
3. View of Portage Cove
Remains of Dock image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, September 4, 2009
4. Remains of Dock
Aerial view of Haines, location of Fort Seward image. Click for full size.
Photographed By E. Andrews, circa 1930
5. Aerial view of Haines, location of Fort Seward
Image courtesy of the Library of Congress
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 17, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 691 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 17, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland.   5. submitted on January 3, 2014. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=70810

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024