Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Andrew Marschalk

 
 
Andrew Marschalk Marker image. Click for full size.
By Robert M. Cook, Jr.
1. Andrew Marschalk Marker
Inscription.  Site of the printery of “father of Mississippi journalism.” Printed first book in state, 1799. Became first public printer and in 1802 founded famed newspaper, “Mississippi Herald.”
 
Erected 1958 by Mississippi Historical Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1799.
 
Location. 31° 33.707′ N, 91° 24.207′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of Franklin Street and North Wall Street, on the left when traveling east on Franklin Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 Franklin Street, Natchez MS 39120, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "The Natchez Burning" (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Intersection of North Pearl and Franklin streets (about 400 feet away); Intersection of Main and Wall streets (about 400 feet away); Commercial Bank Building
Andrew Marschalk Marker image. Click for full size.
By Robert M. Cook, Jr.
2. Andrew Marschalk Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 500 feet away); Site of Bank of Mississippi (about 500 feet away); Intersection of Jefferson and North Pearl streets (about 500 feet away); Intersection of North Canal and Jefferson streets (about 500 feet away); Old Natchez Hotel (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 20, 2013, by Robert M. Cook, Jr. of Biloxi, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 554 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 20, 2013, by Robert M. Cook, Jr. of Biloxi, Mississippi. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=70851

Paid Advertisement
Oct. 23, 2021