Savage in Howard County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Carroll Baldwin Memorial Hall
Constructed of river rocks hauled by horse and cart from the nearby Little Patuxent River, the stone building on Baltimore Street has been a landmark in the town of Savage since 1922. Its distinguishing features include large windows with stone arches, a massive chimney and a state roof. The style is a blend of Romanesque Revival architecture with Queen Anne and Beaux Arts elements.
The building consists of a main hall, where graduation ceremonies, meetings, parties, and musical events continue to be held. A stage for plays and movies is at the east end, where residents played the piano or drums to accompany silent movies in the 1920's. The building had a "radio listening apparatus," and dances were often held.
The room at the west end, with the large fireplace, housed the first library in Savage. It operated from 1922 until the new Savage Branch of the Howard Public Library opened on Gorman Road in 1991.
The basement provided a kitchen, a pool table and a bowling alley. For a time, it served as the local branch of the Health Department.
While Savage continued to prosper as a mill town, the Hall was used
in 1955, concerned citizens, spearheaded by the Savage Home-makers Club, raised funds to make repairs, and revived the Carroll Baldwin Memorial Institute. After more decades of use, the building showed signs of wear as it neared its century-mark. In 2010, a Community Legacy Grant was awarded to restore the historic structure so it can continue to enrich the lives of the town's residents into the 21st Century.
Who was Carroll Baldwin?
Known as "a friend of his fellow workers," Carroll Baldwin was president of the Savage Manufacturing Company from 1905 until his death in 1918, a the age of 46. His successor described him as "generous to partners, to associates, to relatives, and to those who worked for him." He was also "devoted to his mother and sisters," and was "socially a favorite with many."
His sister Sallie, wished to create a tribute to him that would benefit people of the town where he worked and where Baldwin family's summer home was located. Family members began erecting a building, laying the cornerstone in 1921, and forming a non-profit
The Memorial was dedicated on Thanksgiving Day, November 30, 1922. Carroll's uncle,the Reverend Charles W. Baldwin, delivered a tribute, a plaque was unveiled and hymns were sung. Afterward, 500 people enjoyed a turkey dinner, provided by the Savage Manufacturing Company -- a Baldwin family-owned business since 1859.
Erected 2012 by Howard County Recreation and Parks.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1892.
Location. 39° 8.247′ N, 76° 49.507′ W. Marker is in Savage, Maryland, in Howard County. Marker is at the intersection of Baltimore Street and Foundry Street on Baltimore Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9035 Baltimore Street, Savage MD 20763, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Baldwin Common (a few steps from this marker); 9051-9053 Baltimore StreetMillworkers House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Savage Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bollman Iron Truss Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Savage Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); This Survey Point (approx. 0.2 miles away); Explore your Chesapeake (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savage.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 22, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 935 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 22, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 2. submitted on January 1, 2015, by Jeff K. Smith of Jessup, Maryland. 3. submitted on December 22, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 4, 5. submitted on January 1, 2015, by Jeff K. Smith of Jessup, Maryland. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on December 22, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.