Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lowndesboro in Lowndes County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Lowndesboro, Alabama/Lowndesboro Business District

 
 
Lowndesboro, Alabama Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, December 27, 2013
1. Lowndesboro, Alabama Marker
Inscription.  (Side 1)
Lowndesboro, Alabama

Lowndesboro developed from a small community of early settlers to a thriving township in the 1830’s. The settlers’ plantation interests were maintained in the lowlands along the Alabama River, while they built their cottage and antebellum homes in the Greek architectural style on the ridge of McGill’s Hill. The Alabama River ports of Newport Landing and Loch Ranza were adjuncts to the town. Planters stored their cotton in warehouses located there. Boats brought choice merchandise upriver from Mobile. People from other communities came by stagecoach and carriage to spend the night in the local hotels in order to shop for select wares. The Lowndesboro Boys Academy was established behind the C.M.E. Church. The Lowndesboro Female Institute was a thriving women’s college located on the site of Lowndes Academy. Horse racing was big business, and Lowndesboro had its own track. The community prospered in this era and produced this quotation from a traveler from Virginia, who wrote in 1837, “In northern Lowndes County there can be found a refined and polished Society.”
(Continued
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
on other side)
(Side 2)
Lowndesboro Business District
(Continued from other side)
The Town of Lowndesboro Business District once housed livery stables, six doctors, a dentist, grocery stores, two taverns (hotels), general stores, a Masonic Hall, and a Post Office. The district consisted of wooden structures along the western side of Broad Street. In 1927 a great fire destroyed the Business District. The only business building remaining today is the Old Indian Trading Post, or Stone-Dryer Store, which now stands at the corner of Water Street and Broad Street. Despite the fact the stores were never rebuilt, much of the Old South lingers and many traditions of yesteryear continue. Reminiscent of times past, the local churches continue to have active congregations. Four participating churches in the community share services and employ the new version of the “old-time circuit pastors.” The C.M.E. Church is a public facility and no longer holds regular services. It houses the cupola from the first State House in Cahaba, Alabama. The Town of Lowndesboro maintains the water infrastructure and the Ruby S. Moore Park.
 
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Lowndesboro.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion
Lowndesboro Business District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, December 27, 2013
2. Lowndesboro Business District Marker
Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Christian Methodist Episcopal (CME) Church series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
 
Location. 32° 16.846′ N, 86° 36.599′ W. Marker is in Lowndesboro, Alabama, in Lowndes County. Marker is on North Broad Street, 1.1 miles U.S. 80, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 North Broad Street, Lowndesboro AL 36752, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Lowndesboro (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Our Confederate Soldiers (approx. 0.4 miles away); Elmore Bolling (approx. 1˝ miles away); Viola Liuzzo (approx. 2.4 miles away); Campsite 3 (approx. 4.4 miles away); Shiloh Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 5˝ miles away); Campsite 2 (approx. 5.7 miles away); Holy Ground Battlefield (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lowndesboro.
 
Ruby S. Moore Park image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, December 27, 2013
3. Ruby S. Moore Park
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 749 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 27, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=70934

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024