Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Diego in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

1906 Old Town Convent

 
 
1906 Old Town Convent Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, December 23, 2013
1. 1906 Old Town Convent Marker
Inscription.  Originally built as the St. Joseph’s Rectory at the corner of Fourth Avenue and Beech Street downtown, this building was moved through the streets of San Diego to this site in 1940. Here, it was used by the Catholic Church as a seminary, convent, community center and, during World War II, as a USO. The structure was restored by Historic Tours of America, Inc. in 2003. It is registered as San Diego Historic Site Number 323.
 
Erected by Historic Tours of America – The Nations Storyteller.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1940.
 
Location. 32° 45.23′ N, 117° 11.745′ W. Marker is in San Diego, California, in San Diego County. Marker can be reached from Twiggs Street near Calhoun Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4010 Twiggs Street, San Diego CA 92110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Original Foundation Casa de Aguirre (a few steps from this marker); Adobe Construction (a few steps from this marker); Father Antonio Ubach
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Old Town San Diego (within shouting distance of this marker); Birthplace of the San Diego Union (within shouting distance of this marker); Birthplace of The San Diego Union (within shouting distance of this marker); Don Antonio Aguirre (within shouting distance of this marker); Casa de Pedrorena de Altamirano (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Diego.
 
More about this marker. This marker is located near the elevator at the back of the Old Town Convent.
 
1906 Old Town Convent Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, December 23, 2013
2. 1906 Old Town Convent Marker
The Old Town Convent image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, December 23, 2013
3. The Old Town Convent
the Old Town Convent image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, December 23, 2013
4. the Old Town Convent
St. Joseph's Rectory Histoical Landmark Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, December 23, 2013
5. St. Joseph's Rectory Histoical Landmark Plaque
Historical Landmark No. 323
St. Joseph’s Rectory
Old Town Convent
1908
The City of San Diego
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 630 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 2, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=71059

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 19, 2024