Wheeling in Ohio County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Board of Trade and Court Theatre
On this site stood the first Ohio County Courthouse whose cornerstone was laid in 1839. In the 1890s, the Courthouse was razed and replaced by the Board of Trade Building and Court Theatre. Wheeling architect Edward Batee Franzheim designed the Building, which now has been honored by its inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Board of Trade Building was a state-of-the-art office complex which has been home to many prominent Wheeling businesses and was erected at a cost of $170,000. The Court Theatre was expanded in the 1920s and was considered the premier theater in Wheeling which housed many vaudeville shows and plays. The Court was later converted to a movie theater and was closed in 1982.
Wheeling attorney Robert P. Fitzsimmons purchased the entire building in 1996 with his business associates, Russell Jay Guthrie, and Kay L. Guthrie. The property was fully rehabilitated and renovated under the guidance of attorney Fitzsimmons' father, Robert J. Fitzsimmons, and Kay L. Guthrie, Project Manager.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture Arts, Letters, Music • Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
Location. 40° 4.041′ N, 80° 43.261′ W. Marker is in Wheeling, West Virginia, in Ohio County. Marker is at the intersection of 12th Street and Chapline Street, on the right when traveling east on 12th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 80 12th St, Wheeling WV 26003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charles W. Russell House (a few steps from this marker); Odd Fellows Hall Association (within shouting distance of this marker); First United Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington Hall (about 400 feet away); Wheeling Post No. 1 (about 400 feet away); The First Saint Joseph Cathedral (about 400 feet away); Kaley Center (about 600 feet away); The Dr. John C. Hupp House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wheeling.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 4, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 513 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 4, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.