Lampasas in Lampasas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Hancock Springs Bathhouse
The Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad extended its line to Lampasas in 1882, making travel to the area easier, and with the rail came capital investors who quickly built hotels and tourist facilities. In 1882, land at this site was sold from the John and George Hancock family to George L. Porter of Harris County who transferred the property to the Lampasas Springs Company. The company built a bathhouse here, creating changing rooms, facilities for hot and cold baths, and bathing pools for men and women. The company also erected the Grand Park Hotel, which was located northwest of the bathhouse. A mule-drawn streetcar connected the bathhouse with the passenger depot on the other side of town.
Sulphur Creek, which is fed by the springs, has flooded several times since construction of
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15389.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
Location. 31° 3.299′ N, 98° 10.984′ W. Marker is in Lampasas, Texas, in Lampasas County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of American Legion Memorial Highway (U.S. 281) and Plum Street, on the right when traveling south. Located in Hancock Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1600 US Hwy 281 S, Lampasas TX 76550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hancock Springs (within shouting distance of this marker); Hostess House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The 1957 FloodCook Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Matt and Rebecca Smith House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Malone-Manuel House (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Mary's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lampasas.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 4, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,584 times since then and 250 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 4, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.