Near New Hope in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Walnut Grove Cumberland Presbyterian Church
On July 19, 1847, Chistopher and Mary Harless Sears deeded two acres (with meeting house, brush-arbor, and camp-stand) to the Elders of the Walnut Grove Society of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church for one penny. The Union Army burned the original church in 1862. A walnut tree with scars from the fire still bears walnuts. A ring used to tether horses during services has grown into the tree and is still visible. The original bell, hand-dug well, and pre-Civil War cemetery also remain.
Erected 2007 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1907.
Location. 34° 33.26′ N, 86° 22.574′ W. Marker is near New Hope, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of New Hope Cedar Point Road and Cambron Road, on the right when traveling east on New Hope Cedar Point Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 734 New Hope Cedar Point Road, New Hope AL 35760, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hayden Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fort Deposit Trail (approx. 1.6 miles away); Vienna (New Hope) (approx. 1.6 miles away); New Hope Cemetery / Town of New Hope (approx. 1.9 miles away); Poplar Ridge School (approx. 2.4 miles away); Whitaker Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); Bethel Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); Pennsylvania Bell Tower (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Hope.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 19, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 599 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on January 19, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.