Camp Shelby in Forrest County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Following activation for service in both WWI and WWII, Ky. Guard units, as part of the 38th Inf. Div. were sent to Camp Shelby for training in preparation for war. Ky. National Guard units trained at Camp Shelby during WWI and WWII: 75th Brig.; 149th Inf. Reg.; 63rd Fld. Arty. Brig.; 1st and 2nd Battalion, 138th Fld. Arty.
Camp Shelby was established on July 18, 1917, to serve as training camp for the 38th Div. (NG). Camp named in honor of Issac Shelby, Ky.'s first governor. Shelby, of Va. militia, was distinguished military leader during the Revolutionary War and War of 1812. He personally commanded troops at the Battle of the Thames in 1813 while gov. of Ky.
Erected 2003 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2127.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War of 1812War, US Revolutionary • War, World I • War, World II.
Location. 31° 11.88′ N, 89° 13.404′ W. Marker is in Camp Shelby, Mississippi, in Forrest County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West Forrest Avenue and Forrest Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Located on the grounds of the Mississippi Armed Forces Museum. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hattiesburg MS 39401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dixie School Log Cabin (approx. 5.1 miles away); Hi-Hat Club (approx. 6.2 miles away); William Carey College (approx. 8.6 miles away); "The Civil Rights Church" (approx. 9 miles away); Forrest County Agricultural High School (approx. 9.2 miles away); The Last Bare Knuckle Prize Fight (approx. 9.3 miles away); William Harris Hardy (approx. 9.6 miles away); Hattiesburg (approx. 9.7 miles away).
More about this marker. This Kentucky historical marker has been placed in Mississippi.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 3, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 548 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on February 3, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of opposite side of marker. • Can you help?