Iowa County Courthouse
This is the oldest courthouse in Wisconsin. Construction started June 11, 1859. It was dedicated in 1861, enlarged in 1894 and again in 1927. In 1937 the Doric columns, pediment and cupola were restored exactly as the 1859 original. In 1969 the interior was completely renovated to better utilize space.
It is Iowa County's fourth courthouse. The first three were located in Mineral Point, the county seat from 1829 to 1861. The design is Greek Revival and the material is native Galena limestone quarried north of Dodgeville and cut to precision by local Cornish stonemasons.
Erected 1979 by Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 250.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 11, 1797.
Location. 42° 57.698′ N, 90° 7.816′ W. Marker is in Dodgeville, Wisconsin, in Iowa County. Marker is at the intersection of Iowa Street (State Highway 23) and Chapel Street, on the right when
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Dodge's Grove and Fort Union (approx. 3.2 miles away); Old Military Road (approx. 3.8 miles away); Shake Rag (approx. 7.3 miles away); Historic Mineral Point (approx. 7.4 miles away); Wisconsin Territory (approx. 7½ miles away); Site of Fort Jackson (approx. 7½ miles away); Laurence F. Graber (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dodgeville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 13, 2014, by Eric Kuntz of Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 600 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 13, 2014, by Eric Kuntz of Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 1, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.