Leavenworth in Leavenworth County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Star of the West
Here stood one of the most famous saloons of the West. The building called Kunz’s Hall and built in 1869 also housed the Kansas Freie Presse a German language newspaper and the H. J. Helmers Barber Shop. The saloon was named “Star of the West” in 1871.
Here leading statesmen, military men, plainsmen, and business men met and here they discussed the many issues of the day. In those discussions a city and a state matured.
Even after Kansas adopted constitutional prohibition in 1880 the Star of the West continued to be a saloon until 1887, when it became known as a “restaurant and reading room.” The name was discontinued in 1896.
Erected 1970 by Leavenworth Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Entertainment • Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 39° 19.129′ N, 94° 54.903′ W. Marker is in Leavenworth, Kansas, in Leavenworth County. Marker is on Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 423 Shawnee Street, Leavenworth KS 66048, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Star of the West Saloon (a few steps from this marker); Abraham Lincoln (within shouting distance of this marker); Replica of the Statue of Liberty (within shouting distance of this marker); Leavenworth (within shouting distance of this marker); Heritage Court / Celebration of the Midwest Family (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leavenworth Masonic Building Association (about 300 feet away); Freedom Tree (about 400 feet away); Site of Offices of Russell, Majors, and Waddell (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leavenworth.
Also see . . . Leavenworth County Historical Society KS. (Submitted on February 13, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 13, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 312 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 13, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.